Located just across Geneva Street from beautiful Geneva Lake, the Willabay Shores Condominiums are one of the finest condominium complexes in the Lake Geneva area. The Williams Bay complex consists of 38 buildings of 4 condominium units each. The 2 and 3 bedroom condominiums are surrounded by beautifully landscaped grounds and contains a swimming pool and tennis courts for the residents.
The 17 acre property can be reached by turning north on Willabay Drive off of Geneva Street and is immediately across from the Williams Bay lakefront.
Click on the slide show to the right to see pictures of the Willabay Shores property.
History of Willabay
Most of the current site of the Willabay Shores Condominiums was formerly owned by the Chicago and North Western Railroad which started operations in Williams Bay in 1888. In July of 1946 the Evangelical Free Church paid $5000 for 20 acres of land to be used as a bible camp. The camp opened in the spring of 1947 and was very active until 1972 when the land was traded with a developer. The camp was then moved to East Troy because of the need for more acreage. The Camp Willabay name goes back to 1958.
Willabay Shores was estabished in 1979 and Phase I and II developed on the grounds of the former camp. Phase III, which is now most of Wildwood Court and Driftwood Court was finished in 1991 . The original Willabay Pool was built in 1961for the camp and was just completely rebuilt in 2016. Take a look at the old post card picture that Jim Dziekan found recently. It is dated 1985 and shows the original pool when it was already 24 years old.
Camp Willabay Post Card
The grounds of the area where Buildings 13-14 and 29-30 now stand was the site of the former J.P. Smith Ice Co. which had its main ice building burn to the ground in 1897. This was rebuilt and lasted about as long as the railroad which stopped operations in Williams Bay at the end of 1965. The railroad tracks for the ice building went all the way to the lake where they cut ice for shipment to Chicago before the days of the refrigerator. Some of the big Gage Marine tour boats were hauled in over these same tracks which would be right behind Buildings 11 to 14 today. The old railroad bed marks the western edge of Willabay Shores and is an excellent hiking trial with access from behind Building 12 or off of Harris Road.